Tuesday, March 30

Code Adam

Today was probably one of the worst days I've had in a while. It started out fine and dandy with a speech therapy session with Melissa. Then I got the idea to take Cayden to Wal-Mart to purchase Toy Story! He's been loving the movie clips Disney shows on their website. Anyway. All was going really well. Cayden actually stayed with me and the cart. He usually runs off and then comes right back. But I think he got a little to comfortable with running off because he did again after we got everything and were on the way to check out (prob only 15 min in the store - very short trip). Anyway.. he runs off and I stand there cause he usually just comes right back. After a min - he doesn't come back. So I go off as fast as I can waddle towards the way he ran off, ditching the cart. I don't see him. I try everywhere and I cannot find him. I start freaking out and find the nearest Wal-Mart employee. I keep telling them what he's wearing and they find a manager who can authorize a Code Adam to be announced. As we are walking towards the fitting rooms, an employee comes walking towards us holding Cayden's hand. I cannot tell you how amazing that moment was. Seeing my boy not in harms way - with someone that can be trusted! Oh my gosh - what a relief! I just started bawling. No harsh words for him, no yelling or spanking.. Just relief. The whole way home I cried. I never want to go through anything like that again.

From now on, no matter how much Cayden protests - he's sitting the cart until he can learn to stay with me all the time. No more running off for him. On the way home, I told him he's no longer allowed to be out of the cart and he cried. So hopefully things will go better next time. I doubt I'll go by myself anymore - not for a while anyway. So scary..

4 comments:

craftyashley said...

That happened to me at Carter's the other week. They have a cute little play table in the middle of the stores that the girls were playing at with two other little girls. I was literally ONE RACK away from them and popped my head around to make sure they were behaving nicely. (running away didn't even register to me) It was a couple minutes later that I spy a security guard coming towards me holding Catie's hand. She had gotten OUT OF THE STORE and was RUNNING AROUND THE MALL asking for her mommy. (I was too chicken to put the fiasco on my blog- kudos to you!) I get the worst-mommy-of-the-year award because I didn't even notice Catie missing! I guess I just saw Addie twice! There was another mom who witnessed the whole thing and did I kind- "oh man, that sucks" nod to me but I know she was secretly judging me in her head and perhaps wondering if she knew CPS's number off-hand. Bad day.
Hugs for you!

Carol Swift said...

Scary! It reminded me of the time Andrea....well, I think I'll blog about it since I'm having a flashback. :)

Hannah said...

Oh Jen... I'm so glad he's okay and that you're okay! Its amazing you didn't go into labor right then and there!!

Lindsay said...

SO scary! My heart races every time I lose sight of one of my kids in the store! It's definitely worth it to have an unhappy child sitting in a cart - just explain to him how much it scared you and kids have to stay right next to their parents or sit in the cart.